- This event has passed.
MERICS China Forecast 2021; webinar 13 January 14:00 hrs CET
January 13 @ 14:00 - 16:30
A platform for exchanges on the most important current trends in China and what they entail for European counterparts in 2021
2020 was a turbulent year for everything China related. In 2021, countries around the world will face the double challenge of dealing with the Covid-19 health crisis and bracing for the economic fallout it will cause. While promising vaccine breakthroughs look set to usher in the end of the pandemic, the economics and politics of vaccine distribution will test the international community. At the same time, a series of critical developments will affect EU-China relations: the CCP’s 100th birthday, the publication of China’s 14th Five-Year Plan, a new US President and a new German Chancellor.
To anticipate what 2021 might have in store for us, MERICS will once again host its annual China Forecast event on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 in collaboration with its media partner POLITICO Europe. Merics will provide a platform for exchanges on the most important current trends in China and what they entail for European counterparts in 2021.
Leading China specialists, public sector representatives as well as MERICS experts and renowned China correspondents will comment and debate these assessments and their implications. The two panels will focus on China’s domestic politics and economy as well as on Europe-China relations in 2021.
MERICS will also use the opportunity to present findings from a survey among leading European experts and professionals and among a wider global audience on key developments in Europe-China relations. For more details, please see the agenda below.
14:00 Welcome and introduction by Mikko Huotari, Executive Director, MERICS
14:15 Panel 1 – What’s in Store for China’s Domestic Politics and Economy
- Chris Buckley, Beijing correspondent for The New York Times
- George Magnus, Associate, China Centre, Oxford University
- Arthur R. Kroeber, Founding Partner & Head of Research, Gavekal Dragonomics Beijing, Nonresident Senior Fellow, Brookings
- Kristin Shi-Kupfer, Senior Associate, MERICS and Professor for Contemporary China, University of TrierModerator: Sari Arho Havrén, Counsellor and a Senior Advisor at Business Finland, MERICS Futures Fellow
15:25 Panel 2 – Europe’s China strategy for 2021 – economic and political priorities and challenges for EU China relations
- Reinhard Bütikofer, Member of the European Parliament, Group of the Greens/European Free Alliance
- Gunnar Wiegand, Managing Director for Asia and the Pacific, European External Action Service
- Lucrezia Poggetti, Analyst, MERICS
- Plamen Tonchev, Head of Asia Unit, Institute of International Economic Relations, MERICS European China Policy FellowModerator: Jakob Hanke Vela, Trade Reporter, POLITICO Europe
16:25 Closing remarks
16:30 End of conference
You can register by clicking here